Welcome to the crazy world of living with a person who has Borderline Personality Disorder

Chronicles and musings of a captive audience who has been in the rabbit hole many times and survived.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Weirdness and False Accusations

One very strange thing B does is to try and provoke me to get angry with him. Normally I'm a very patient and tolerant person, but, like all human beings, I have my limits and hot buttons.
One night I was trying to watch a movie with my 13 year old son. B kept interrupting and even turned off the TV several times. I told him to stop in a nice way, then a less nice way and so on. Eventually he was in his room making so many goony noises that I got up to tell him to stop. When I got to the door he threw himself down and cried out: "Stop hitting me, stop hitting me!" He did this several times and I just backed away in disbelief.
Now I see him doing similar things, as if he were trying to build a case against me. I think what he really is doing is redirecting the blame or accountability for his failing life on me. In fact, I know that is what he is doing because I hear it all the time. This false abuse accusation stuff is just the material to support his claim.
This is truly a no-win situation for me. I cannot discipline him because he becomes so physical that I react and there it is: Dad's abuse! I cannot ignore his behavior because it is intolerable and he needs help.
I will be very lucky to get out of this one unscathed. My hope is to have him on his own when the weather is warmer and he is 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment